Michael counsels clients who have business disputes in multiple industries, with a particular emphasis in the apparel, food and financial sectors.
Michael started his career working at a top Los Angeles bankruptcy firm where he represented chapter 11 debtors and chapter 7 trustees. He then left firm practice to act as general counsel and CEO of a struggling apparel company. Utilizing his bankruptcy experience, he successfully navigated that company through bankruptcy and guided it through its reorganization into a top brand. While in the private sector, Michael co-founded two apparel companies as well as a factoring business for clients across several industries in need of asset-based lending. Acting as general counsel for those companies, Michael handled disputes ranging from breach of contract actions to bankruptcy. Michael’s background allows him to bring unique business and legal perspectives while serving client needs.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1990)
- University of California San Diego (B.A. 1987)
- Admitted to all Federal and State Courts in California.
- Successfully managed and participated in the prosecution of an action for breach of contract and fraud in Los Angeles Superior Court involving an overseas supplier that shipped apparel merchandise long after the contract cancel date. After successfully defending against a writ of attachment, Michael won a motion for summary judgment whereby the principals of the Defendant were found by the Court to be the alter egos of the Defendant. Michael was also successful obtaining his client’s attorney’s fees and prejudgment interest. The total award was in excess of $3.5 million.
- Successfully obtained a writ of possession, enabling the seizure of valuable merchandise that was wrongfully being held by the defendant in order to extort unearned payments.
- Obtained favorable settlement in breach of contract action against Wet Seal on eve of trial.
- Obtained judgment in arbitration against water distributor in New York City in breach of contract action.
- Obtained seven-figure settlement for chapter 7 trustee in preference action in US Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.