Jerry is a business lawyer and advisor who focuses his practice on representing clients in commercial restructuring and bankruptcy matters, business sales and purchases, commercial and real estate transactions and leases, private debt and equity trades, and related litigation, in numerous jurisdictions. Jerry has represented business owners and investors, borrowers, banks and unsecured lenders, hedge funds and private equity sponsors, vendors, commercial landlords and tenants, trustees and fiduciaries, GOB liquidators, individuals and government agencies.
Jerry is licensed to practice law in California and New York, and licensed to practice temporarily in Colorado pending admission under C.R.C.P. 205.6. He has represented major parties in a wide variety of industries, including real estate financing and development, private equity and structured finance, retail and wholesale, manufacturing, sales and distribution, apparel, technology, aerospace and entertainment.
Jerry is a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent-rated lawyer, certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (California Board of Legal Specialization, 1995), has been selected for the 2019 and 2020 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “The Best Lawyers in America,” and has been named a Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters in both California and New York for numerous years.
- Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (California Board of Legal Specialization, 1995)
- UCLA School of Law (J.D., Order of the Coif, 1990)
- UCLA Anderson Graduate School of Management (M.B.A., Finance and Marketing, 1990)
- UC Berkeley (B.A., Political Economy of Industrial Societies, Phi Beta Kappa, Valedictorian, 1986)
- Santa Monica College (A.A., Political Science with honors, 1983); Activities and Societies: Student Body President, Student Trustee, Santa Monica Community College District
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of Colorado (admission pending)
- California – All state courts
- New York – All state courts
- U.S. District Courts of California – All Districts
- U.S. District Courts of New York – Southern and Eastern Districts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Jerry’s representations at Brutzkus Gubner and prior firms include:
- Business owners and acquirers in purchase and sale transactions of substantially all of the assets of debtors in chapter 11, including real estate land and developments, software and cyber-security assets, coal mines, power generation companies, publications, and ships.
- Lenders and borrowers in commercial transactions, syndicated loans, and factoring facilities.
- Hedge fund manager whose funds’ collective performance comprised Standard & Poor’s hedge fund index.
- Indenture Trustee and “Creditor Representative” in $4 billion chapter 11 reorganization of paper packaging company.
- Industry-leading insurance premium finance company in making new law in Nevada protecting the creditor’s senior security interest in millions of dollars of refunded insurance premiums.
- An aerospace company, including 60 direct and indirect subsidiaries, in their chapter 11 cases.
- Prospective investors and lessors to the cannabis industry.
- Board of Directors, Member, U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, New York Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- “AV Preeminent” rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- “Best Lawyers in America” (2019-Present)
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Southern California and New York Super Lawyer Magazine (2012-2014, 2016-Present), placing him in the top 5% of attorneys in the region.
- Author, “9th Cir Affirms Ch. 11 Plan Indirectly Supported by State-Legal Marijuana,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (Aug. 2019)
- Quote, “Station Owners Face Biz Woes,” Los Angeles Business Journal (Dec. 2018)
- Quotes, Gawker Bankruptcy and Hulk Hogan Judgement (June 2016)
- Quote, “Federal Ch. 11 Watchdog Stays Resolute Against Bonuses,” Law360 (Oct. 2014)
- Co-author, “Bankruptcy Sale ‘Free and Clear’ May Not Shield Against Successor Liability,” New York Law Journal (June 2012)
- Organizer/MC, “US-Mexico Bar Association Annual Conference,” Mexico City, MX (2012)
- Co-author, “Taking It Back – Recovering Transfers In Bankruptcy,” New York Law Journal (Feb. 2011)
- Moderator, “Hot Topics – Developments in Cross-Border Restructuring, and Mexico’s New Laws Regulating Anti-Competitive Practices and Protecting Personal Data,” U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Conference, Houston, TX (2011)
- Co-author, “Bankruptcy – Ancillary And Cross-Border Cases,” The Law of Distressed Real Estate, Chapter 39A, Thomson West Publishing (Sept. 2010)
- Co-author, “Reasonable Insecurity: Strategies For Doing Business With Financially Troubled Counterparties,” New York Law Journal (Mar. 2010)
- Panelist, “Creative Necessities – Restructuring Tactics in Today’s Environment,” U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Conference, San Diego, CA (2009)
- Co-author, “Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code: A Hands-On Guide to the New World Order of Ancillary and Cross-Border Cases,” Thomson West Publishing (Oct. 2005)