Jerry is a business lawyer who represents principal parties in high-stakes financial restructurings and bankruptcy matters, business transactions, real estate purchases, sales and leasing, commercial lending, private debt and equity trades, and related litigation in numerous jurisdictions.
Jerry’s background and experience make him a natural selection to lead the Firm’s commercial real estate, corporate, and business transactions practice groups. He has represented principal parties to real estate transactions involving more than $1 billion, including purchases and sales, development, and commercial leasing, and in corporate financings and transactions involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
Jerry’s current and past clients include business owners, investors, fiduciaries, creditors and vendors, commercial landlords and tenants, banks and factors, officers and directors, partnerships and partners, hedge funds and private equity sponsors, liquidators, and government agencies.
Jerry received his law degree from UCLA’s School of Law, his MBA from UCLA’s Anderson School of Management, and is licensed to practice law in California, Colorado, and New York.
Jerry is a published author, Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent-rated lawyer, Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (California Board of Legal Specialization), has been selected for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America” since 2019, and has been named a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters in California, New York and Colorado for numerous years.
- Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (California Board of Legal Specialization)
- UCLA School of Law (J.D., Order of the Coif)
- UCLA Anderson Graduate School of Management (M.B.A., Finance and Marketing)
- UC Berkeley (B.A., Political Economy of Industrial Societies, Phi Beta Kappa, Valedictorian)
- Santa Monica College (A.A., Political Science with honors); Activities and Societies: Student Body President, Student Trustee, Santa Monica Community College District
- California State Courts – All
- California District Courts – All
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- New York State Court – All
- New York District Courts – Southern and Eastern Districts
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Colorado State Courts – All
- Colorado District Court
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Examples of Jerry’s representations while at BG Law and prior firms include:
- Debtor’s counsel in numerous chapter 11 cases, including, for example, a hedge fund in its $260 million chapter 11 case, an aerospace company in its $440 million chapter 11 case, a coal mining company in its $495 million chapter 11 case, a magazine publisher in its $20 million chapter 11 cases, among others, and many out-of-court restructurings and workouts.
- “Special Conflicts Counsel” role in numerous cases, including, for example, for the debtor in a financial services company’s $370 billion chapter 11 case, and for creditors in numerous smaller chapter 11 cases in New York, California, and Colorado.
- Counsel to buyers and sellers of commercial real estate involving more than $100 million.
- Counsel to commercial tenants and landlords in numerous commercial leases involving more than $100 million.
- Counsel to chapter 7 trustees in pursuing litigation claims, recovering tens of millions of dollars for the benefit of creditors.
- Counsel to defendants sued by chapter 7 trustees (numerous different cases) to recover payments received before a bankruptcy filing.
- Counsel to prevailing parties who made new law, including, for example, in a Nevada case vindicating the senior security interest of an insurance premium finance company in a $4 million refund, and in a New York case permitting enforcement of non-disclosure obligations notwithstanding counter-party’s bankruptcy discharge.
- Counsel to thousands of individuals in bankruptcy cases under chapters 7 and 13.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Colorado Bar Association
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers – Pro Bono Program (volunteer, consumer bankruptcy)
- U.S.-Mexico Bar Association (Past Director, U.S. Co-Chair, and Treasurer)
- “AV Preeminent” rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- “Best Lawyers in America” (2019-Present)
- “Super Lawyer” (2012-2014, 2016-Present)
- “Who’s Who in America” (2020)
- Author, “Just in Time: New Bankruptcy Relief for Small Businesses,” New York Law Journal (September 2020)
- Author, “New Law Puts Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Within Reach for Small Businesses,” Turnaround Management Association’s Journal of Corporate Renewal (May 2020)
- Author, “9th Cir Affirms Ch. 11 Plan Indirectly Supported by State-Legal Marijuana,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (Aug. 2019)
- Quote, “Station Owners Face Biz Woes,” Los Angeles Business Journal (Dec. 2018)
- Quotes, Gawker Bankruptcy and Hulk Hogan Judgement (June 2016)
- Quote, “Federal Ch. 11 Watchdog Stays Resolute Against Bonuses,” Law360 (Oct. 2014)
- Co-author, “Bankruptcy Sale ‘Free and Clear’ May Not Shield Against Successor Liability,” New York Law Journal (June 2012)
- Organizer/MC, “US-Mexico Bar Association Annual Conference,” Mexico City, MX (2012)
- Co-author, “Taking It Back – Recovering Transfers In Bankruptcy,” New York Law Journal (Feb. 2011)
- Moderator, “Hot Topics – Developments in Cross-Border Restructuring, and Mexico’s New Laws Regulating Anti-Competitive Practices and Protecting Personal Data,” U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Conference, Houston, TX (2011)
- Co-author, “Bankruptcy – Ancillary And Cross-Border Cases,” The Law of Distressed Real Estate, Chapter 39A, Thomson West Publishing (Sept. 2010)
- Co-author, “Reasonable Insecurity: Strategies For Doing Business With Financially Troubled Counterparties,” New York Law Journal (Mar. 2010)
- Panelist, “Creative Necessities – Restructuring Tactics in Today’s Environment,” U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Conference, San Diego, CA (2009)
- Co-author, “Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code: A Hands-On Guide to the New World Order of Ancillary and Cross-Border Cases,” Thomson West Publishing (Oct. 2005)